Reporting to the VP of Strategy & Development, the Development Officer plans, coordinates and implements strategies to cultivate donors and strengthen the organization. He/She will also work with the young professional volunteer population to help ensure they are engaged with the agency in multiple capacities. The Development Officer will steward and solicit gifts at the low to mid-tier level and play a large role in all development-related events. He/she will work closely with the EVP to ensure adequate Development support of the agency’s programs.
- Annual Gala
- Work with VP of Strategy and Development to lead planning and day of event, along with event planner
- Coordinate with Chief Communications Officer on related marketing and communications
- Ensure young professionals are engaged appropriately
- Develop and implement follow up plan for attendees
- Partner with clinical staff on holiday gift cards drive, school supply drive, and other family/clients support.
- Support Young Professional fundraising opportunities, including Shabbat dinners
- Organize and implement the bi-annual brunch
- Establish and work with event committee;
- With the VP of Strategy & Development identify co-chairs;
- Coordinate with the venue;
- Order necessary table arrangements;
- Work with Chief Communications Officer on associated marketing and PR, invitations, etc.
- Manage day of logistics.
Staff other Development events, as requested.
Donor Cultivation and Solicitation
- Identify new prospects
- Develop young professional donor strategy
- Solicit young professional gifts
- Compile information on current donors, specifically those who fund individual programs/activities.
- Implement new and innovative ways to connect with donors in order to maximize engagement and annual giving.
- Identify grant opportunities and write grant proposals
Young Professional Development
- Work with VP of Strategy & Development to refine and implement young professional strategy
- Staff any related committees as appropriate
- Meet regularly with young professional leaders
- Work with Development Team and Chief Communications Officer to create annual fundraising calendar including direct mail pieces, save the date and invitation blasts
- Work with the development team to put together an all-encompassing yearly development plan
- Work with development associate to institutionalize the way prospect research is done and how that information is presented (e.g. at event briefings with management)
- Create briefings before events, utilize WealthEngine for research and ensure information is given to prospect managers when appropriate.
- Partner with VP of Strategy and Development to solicit tickets and discounts
- Manage Constant Contact lists
- Recommend Development-related content to the Chief Communications Officer for all e-newsletter, web, social media and print communications
Minimum entrance requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in related field (Master’s preferred)
• 3-4 years’ experience in development, community service and or event planning (with experience in mission-driven non-profits preferred)
• Demonstrated success planning events and interacting with donors and prospective donors
• Comfortable interfacing with all levels of staff and outside constituents
• Commitment to client, volunteer and donor confidentiality and child safety
• Strong communication skills a must
• Personal vehicle and valid Driver’s License required
• Flexibility to attend meetings with JBBBS constituents which occasionally occur before/after hours or on weekends
The Development Officer performs many of his/her essential functions indoors in a small office environment, remotely or outside of the office, interacting with donors and prospective donors and other partners through one-to-ones, community meetings and special events hosted by academic institutions, places of worship, area businesses and non-profits. To that end, the Development Officer maintains a flexible schedule.
With reasonable accommodation, if necessary, the Development Officer can be expected to sit, sometimes for long periods of time. S/he might also be expected to stand, stoop, bend, walk/move between short distances and lift/carry upwards of 15lbs. in performance of his/her duties.
Vice President of Strategy and Development
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com – subject line “Development Officer.”
Part-time summer, semester and academic-year internships are available at JBBBS for students pursuing graduate and undergraduate degrees in communications, including journalism, marketing and public relations. Credit may be available with approval from sponsoring institutions. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Communications Intern.”
Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.